Thursday, July 29, 2010

Baking's more fun with two helpers on the counter

 Okay, maybe I should rephrase that to "more challenging." Every time Josh here's the juicer or the mixer start up, he runs and shrieks his way to the kitchen so he can sit with me. I love it! I want to teach him what I'm doing and one day he'll have a very thankful wife, haha.





I decided to use some honey in my bread. Jeff got some local honey from a customer at work, so i couldn't resist. It's so so good! I adjusted this recipe to what I had and wanted, and it turned out soft, sweet, and tasty!

(1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/2 teaspoons
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 cup starter
1/2 cup honey 

1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups whole wheat flour 


(As a side note, I doubled the recipe, and added 1/4 cup blackstrap un-sulfured molasses into the liquid mix. I also was experimenting with whole wheat pastry flour, so I used half pastry, half regular)
 
  1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
  2. Mix together the yeast mixture, sourdough starter mix, honey, salt and oil with whole wheat flour. Add up to more whole wheat flour as needed to make a stiff dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth then place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
  3. Punch down; double again. Punch down; roll into desired shape. Let double in pan.
  4. Bake at 400°F (205°C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden brown, with a hollow sound when thumped 




I made them super flat, then sliced them thin so we can use them for buns and sandwiches!

No comments:

Post a Comment