Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cake.... that's kind of good for you?!

Our juicer is amazing, but it leaves a lot of pulp. We have a compost bin, which I am beginning to use so we have awesome fertilizer for the garden we're planning, but I hate to use it all for that. I've been saved it here and there, just based on what I've juiced, and keep it in a ziplock bag in the freezer. So... what can a girl make from a bunch of pulp...... I got to thinking! Here's a recipe I made, and WOW!!!!!!!!!!! It was delicious to say the least. We still transitioning to being completely organic/ natural, so my icing and spices weren't, but you can make whatever way if you want.

Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9x13 inch cake

Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup coconut oil
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups raw cane sugar
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used vanilla agave nectar)
  • 2 cups wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3-4 cup pulp from juicer (mine had lots of carrot in it, as well as apples, pears, and peaches)
  • 1/4 raw almonds, chopped
For icing, I stuck 1/2 cup raw cane sugar in the blender to make my own powdered sugar, then mixed it with blended cream cheese to taste, with a tad of vanilla agave. I still didn't end up using all the sugar. You can also use agave as a substitute for the sugar. 

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots/ pulp. Fold in nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and coolcompletely.
  4. To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Stir in chopped pecans. Frost the cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment